If you are in need of industrial, fire, wilderness, or water rescue gear, rescue equipment, or rescue training, or any other safety equipment and training, we have you covered. At AHS Rescue we specialize in search and rescue equipment and training, water rescue equipment and training, confined space equipment and training, rope access equipment and training, high angle rescue equipment, industrial safety equipment and training, mountain rescue equipment, fire rescue equipment, and aborist gear from leading manufactures like Rock Exotica, Petzl, CMC, PMI, Yates, SMC, Sterling, NRS, and more.
The Hike - Start at the trailhead and take the Spur Cross Trail down a road and join the Metate Trail then the Maricopa Trail to the Corral. Backtrack from the Corral to the Metate Trail, winding back through a dense grove of trees. Then go uphill, rejoining the Spur Cross Trail and meet the Dragonfly Trail. The Dragonfly Trail takes us down to the Jewel of the Creek Preserve, a little creek where we’ll hopefully see dragonflys flitting over the water. With any luck there will be water running along the stream.
Plan to join us for lunch after the hike, if you schedule allows.
Distance - 7.4 miles
Time - 4-5 hours
Elevation Change - +-1000'
Elevations - 2,327 (Trailhead) to 2468 (high point). Lots of dips and uphills in between.
Type - loop, with extension
Starting at - Spur Cross Trailhead 33° 53' 15" N, 111° 57' 15" W W [NAD27]
On trail - 100% — Spur Cross, Metate, and Maricopa Trails
Rating - "C"
Dogs allowed - no
Cost - $3 per person entrance fee payable at the trailhead.
When car-pooling, pay your share of the cost of gas.
The club also allows voluntary contributions of $5/non-member.
Leader - Gabrielle McConnell You must email the leader to confirm.
Meet - 8:00 AM at Spur Cross Trailhead (meet in the parking lot, then we’ll walk together to the trailhead).
Drive - To reach Spur Cross Trailhead: 44000 N Spur Cross Rd, Cave Creek, AZ 85331
• Take the 101 loop to Scottsdale Rd.
• Go north on N. Scottsdale Rd (outside the 101 loop).
• N. Scottsdale Rd turns into N Tom Darlington Rd at the Carefree Hwy intersection. Stay on N Tom Darlington Rd going north.
• At E. Cave Creek Rd go left (west).
• At N Spur Cross Rd go right (north).
• Jog right on E Grapevine rd, continue following N Spur Cross Rd going north.
• Turn left onto N Spur Cross Rd. The last mile or so of Spur Cross Rd is dirt, but high clearance cars are not required.
• The parking lot will be on the right, after passing a stable. We’ll meet in the parking lot and walk in together.
• There are porta potties available at the trailhead. Water is not available.