If you are in need of industrial, fire, wilderness, or water rescue gear, rescue equipment, or rescue training, or any other safety equipment and training, we have you covered. At AHS Rescue we specialize in search and rescue equipment and training, water rescue equipment and training, confined space equipment and training, rope access equipment and training, high angle rescue equipment, industrial safety equipment and training, mountain rescue equipment, fire rescue equipment, and aborist gear from leading manufactures like Rock Exotica, Petzl, CMC, PMI, Yates, SMC, Sterling, NRS, and more.
Details ($495.00 per person)
Not solely for professional guides; leadership skills are essential for clubs and youth program volunteers, and are extremely useful for anyone who descends canyons with less experienced partners.
The Canyon Leader/Guide Course combines technical and experiential learning. The course represents the industry standard of training both for aspiring guides and for practitioners of adventure-based and experiential education. Participants will have opportunities to enhance and hone skills, experience personal growth and develop leadership abilities.
Topics covered include:
• Problem-solving and decision-making methodologies, group dynamics and facilitation, situational adaptation of leadership styles
• The importance of both objective (technical) and subjective (human) leadership skills
• Hazard identification, risk assessment and management, avoiding heuristic traps in decision-making
• Site management and transition safety systems (moving and stationary sites, low-risk and high-risk), appropriate leader positions for optimal group management
• Advanced sequencing strategies, bump-and-go vs leap-froging
• Contextual selection of appropriate belay systems - top rope, bottom, self-belay, twin rope self-belay, running belay, 2:1 belay
• Static and dynamic courtesy rigging for difficult rappel starts
• Pre-rigging and stacked rappels, single rope and twin rope tandem rappels
• Twin rope, yo-yo, 2:1, and other specialized rigging systems and techniques for efficiently moving a group through challenging terrain
Prerequisites: This course is intended for active experienced canyoneers who already possess a good foundation of anchor, rigging and on-rope skills.